Monday, July 13, 2009

Sotomayor cites "fidelity ot the law"

Supreme Court nominee Judge Sonia Sotomayor's first day of hearings went fairly smoothly despite some comments that she might be an "activist" judge.

Sotomayor pledged herself to "fidelity to the law" and said she would follow Supreme Court precedent in making judgements.

"Throughout my 17 years on the bench, I have witnessed the human consequences of my decisions. Those decisions have been made not to serve the interests of any one litigant, but always to serve the larger interest of impartial justice," Sotomayor said. "In the past month, many senators have asked me about my judicial philosophy. It is simple: fidelity to the law."


Day One of the Sotomayor hearings: a legal perspective

Los Angeles Times - Carol J. Williams - ‎1 hour ago‎
Legal analysts weigh in on how the Supreme Court nominee fared during a day of political theater, and what to expect in the next few days.

No comments:

Popular Posts