Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tuscaloosa News picks Barack Obama

The Tuscaloosa News in the Feb. 5 state of Alabama has endorsed Barack Obama today as Democratic nominee.

"We endorse McCain, Obama as party nominees"

"On Tuesday, Feb. 5, Alabama voters have an opportunity to help change the course of history by selecting a candidate for president who will redirect the nation to an era of progress, peace and prosperity."

We believe Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama offer the best hope among the candidates for effective, positive leadership.

We disagree with McCain on many issues of domestic policy and we were disappointed to see him strongly back President Bush on this country's tragic and failed course in Iraq.

Yet we feel that McCain stands head and shoulders above the rest of the Republican field in terms of stature, honesty and character. He speaks his mind and doesn't try to hide his positions behind a cloud of rhetoric. He actively engages critics, seeking real dialog on issues.

He is a thoughtful, experienced and intelligent public servant. A level-headed man, he would avoid involving our country in future debacles.

The looming recession will demand a president who is dedicated to fiscal responsibility. McCain has a strong record as a critic of earmarking and a champion of budgetary restraint.

He's tough, smart and shoots straight. He would never dishonor the high office that he seeks.

Obama, at the other end of the age spectrum - he will be 47 on election day, as opposed to McCain's 70 - is a breath of fresh air in American politics. He holds a special appeal to younger voters, who see him as an agent for change from the dreary politics-as-usual in Washington.

At the same time, he has leadership qualities beyond his years. He is a brilliant and persuasive speaker. He is a unifier who honestly hopes to break the capital's partisan gridlock. And while some of his rivals for the nomination have more years of experience, Obama has quickly learned the territory in his relatively short time in Washington.

As a member of the 109th Congress, he co-sponsored the enactment of conventional weapons control and transparency legislation. He made official trips to Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.

In the 110th Congress, he sponsored legislation on lobbying and electoral fraud, climate change, nuclear terrorism and care for returned military personnel.

As a candidate for president, he has advocated ending the Iraq War, increasing energy independence, and providing universal health care as major items on his agenda.

There is much to be said for (and against) his main challenger Hillary Clinton. But after four years of George H.W. Bush as president, followed by eight years of Bill Cinton, followed by eight years of George Bush, most Americans would prefer a fresh face in the White House, someone who can move away from the cycle of partisan warfare that these two families have furthered.

That person, we believe, is Barack Obama.



3 comments:

Lynn said...

I am glad to see this! I do a question/comment about CNN - how come there is so much Clinton coverage (esp on Blitzer's program) - I actually had to switch to FOX to see something about Obama ?! Is anyone else finding that CNN is overly heavy on Clinton coverage & light on Obama??

Lynn said...

Hello,
Is there a place where Obama supporters can talk? I am very disturbed by a post which indicates unfair campaign behavior by Clinton supporters. If true, this should be given some media coverage! I found it here -
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/01/20/after_nevada_caucuses_charges_1.html


First issue was it took me several months of arguing and fighting to be the Temporary Chair for my precinct. The argument with the DEM party began in July and wasn't decided until late Nov. The party had placed two different Clinton supporters in the position on two different occasions, but I finally prevailed. The Party rules dictated no campaign signs inside our caucus sites and advised us to arrive around 10 or 10:30, noting the venue would be open at 9:30. I arrived at 930AM and found "Clinton Central" - signs, balloons, food, etc. had been placed just inside the doorway of the caucus site. Along with the "things" were several women wearing Clinton gear and acting very smug. They informed me they had been there since 7:30AM! I asked them to remove their signage and one of them responded, "I WILL REMOVE IT WHEN SOMEONE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY COMES HERE AND TELLS ME TO." Funny thing, my Alternate Chair was standing with this woman and said nothing. My caucus secretary, called Dem HQ and relayed their ruling that the signage must come down. The woman again responded, "I WILL REMOVE IT WHEN SOMEONE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY COMES HERE AND TELLS ME TO." I showed the woman my Temp Chair badge and told her this was not a Hillary Clinton event and that no candidate at this caucus was going to be permitted to display signage anywhere but that signage worn on one's body, per the rules of the Democratic Party. The woman dismissed me and stated for the third time, "I WILL REMOVE IT WHEN SOMEONE FROM THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY COMES HERE AND TELLS ME TO." Shortly thereafter an official stopped by with a police officer and ordered the woman to remove the signage. She complied. The police officer stayed for a few minutes and made sure the signage was taken down and stayed down so my volunteers and I could set up our registration tables. All of this occurred under the watchful eye of a my Clinton supporting Alternate Chair, who remained silent throughout the ordeal. The other puzzle is that the Dem Party provided me with 75 ballots for my entire precinct and refused to provide anymore. My Kucinich Volunteer tried on two occasions to obtain preference cards and was told no. I went down to DEM HQ two nights before the caucus, after a confirming phone call, to obtain more preference cards and was also told no. Now for the puzzle - the majority of the first 75 attendees to my caucus, all who arrived before 10:30AM were Clinton supporters! I was lucky enough to plan ahead and provided an extra 150 preference cards made at my own expense, much to the surprise and chagrin of those early arriving Clinton supporters. Fact is I was able to provide preference cards not only to all of the my caucus goers, but also provided preference cards to other precincts at at my caucus, who ran out. I also provided plain paper to them as well to use as preference cards when the cards ran out. I knew from my dealings with the party between July and Nov that this caucus was geared toward one candidate which is why I made absolutely sure my caucus would be prepared. Last issue, after the caucus, ALL THE EXTRA PREFERENCE CARDS FROM MY CAUCUS WERE TAKEN BY A HILLARY SUPPORTER and supposedly delivered to another venue for their use - THE CLINTON SUPPORTER TOOK THE PREFERENCE CARDS AFTER THE CAUCUS WAS OVER, AFTER 12:40PM!!!!! The innocence of me and of other caucus chairs who believed the caucus would be fair and impartial was what the Clinton Campaign and the DEM party were counting on January 19. 2008 and it appears they succeeded in using that innocence and belief to their advantage. I am pleased to report that my precinct was split and Hillary Clinton did not win!! My husband overheard the woman who caused all the signage trouble, ask another Clinton supporter after the caucus, "I thought this was a lock, what happened?"
Posted by: frillymail1017 | January 20, 2008 08:49 PM

Paul Kekai Manansala said...

Have you tried the official blog:

http://barackobama.com/blog

Popular Posts